1. Make sure you have good, well-written and unique content that is related to your primary keyword.
2. Build a network of quality backlinks using your keyword word as the anchor text. If there is no logical reason for a site to link back to you, you do not want the link, always build links from websites related to yours or from websites that have a specific category as you have.
3. Be sure you have a unique, Title tag on every page of your site. And, if you want to have the name of your company in it, put it at the end. Unless you are a promoting a major brand name that is a household name.
4. Adding fresh content can improve your rankings. Add new, useful content to your website on a regular basis. Content freshness adds relevancy to your site in the eyes of the search engines and of course will help on the return rate of your visitors.
5. Be sure internal links use your keyword in anchor text. Which means, if your target is “achieve seo” then link to “achieve seo” instead of a “Click here” link.
6. Focus on long tail keywords, not single keywords, and add your location in your inner text (“our New York store” not “our store”) that will help you in local searches.
7. Use keywords and keyword phrases appropriately in text links, image ALT attributes, description attribute and even your domain name.
8. Check for canonicalization issues – www and non-www domains. Choose which one you want to use and redirect the other one to it.For example, if http://www.website.com is your preference, then http://website.com should redirect to it.
10. If you do not change your content often, your site needs a blog because search spiders like fresh text. Blog at least three time a week with fresh content related to your niche to feed the web crawlers.
11. Be aware that by using private services that block domain ownership information when you register a domain, Search engines might see you as a potential spammer. Try to avoid that.
12. Make sure your site is user friendly and easy to use for everyone. This can influence your online presence and, thus, your rankings.